Monday 18 January 2010

The quays and Castle Steen, Antwerp - De kaaien en het Steen, Antwerpen

A pity it was a rainy day in Antwerp, but I still enjoyed my walk on the quays. The castle "Het Steen" (translation - The Stone) was build in the year 1200 and is now the oldest building in Antwerp. Between the 14th and the 18th century it was a prison where all kinds of horrible executions took place. It's strange to know you walk through a building were people were cut into pieces. It's better to focus on the architecture and the views of the Schelde. Certainly worth visiting.

Spijtig dat het een regenachtige dag was in Antwerpen, maar toch heb ik genoten van mijn wandeling langs de kaaien en het kasteel "Het Steen". Dit is nu het oudste gebouw van Antwerpen en de constructie werd gestart in het jaar 1200. Van de 14de tot de 18de eeuw werd dit kasteel gebruikt als gevangenis waar mensen werden terrechtgesteld. Het is raar te weten dat je door een gebouw wandelt waar veroordeelden in stukken werden gehakt. Het is echter beter te genieten van de architectuur en het zicht over de Schelde. Zeker een bezoekje waard.

Antwerpen Antwerp Quays Het Steen Kaaien Demuinck Pardon

Antwerpen Antwerp Quays Het Steen Kaaien Demuinck Pardon

Antwerpen Antwerp Quays Het Steen Kaaien Demuinck Pardon

Antwerpen Antwerp Quays Het Steen Kaaien Demuinck Pardon

Antwerpen Antwerp Quays Het Steen Kaaien Demuinck Pardon

Previous Antwerp article: Main Square, Antwerp
Return to main page

3 comments:

  1. Hello! Thanks for the nice comment on my blog:) I`ve got'n myself a google translator now, so the page is a bit more "readable" :o) I had one before, but I don`t know where it went:p
    Nice blog!
    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is indeed a strange feeling like when I was in the Flavian Ampitheatre, I could only imagine how many gladiators died there.... now, it's something peaceful but I can picture want happened before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I'd rather enjoy looking at the scenery and the architecture than think of what had happened in the past.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.